Washington Rental Assistance


Each year, there are many people in the state of Washington who need help paying their rent. The good news is that there are numerous rental assistance programs that will help them get caught up and avoid being evicted. The programs provide grants that will not have to ever be paid back. Apply with each Washington rental assistance program directly to determine eligibility.


Housing and Urban Development (HUD) – Anyone who has a low income that needs housing assistance can turn to HUD and get help. The federal agency helps more people in the country each year with housing issues than any other source. They help renters and homebuyers alike. For homebuyers, they will help with avoiding foreclosure and providing weatherization services. They will also help pay for necessary home repairs, such as for the heating and cooling system. For renters, they will provide Washington rental assistance. Their rental assistance program uses vouchers to pay for your rent regardless of where you live in the state. They also have a public housing option that provides people with a place to live that is owned by the government. To quality for housing assistance through HUD, you have to have a low income.


Treasury Rent Assistance Program (TRAP) – This program uses federal funding to provide emergency rental assistance to those in need in Washington. The program will help pay for past due rent, as well as current and future rental payments. To qualify for this Washington rental assistance program you have to meet the income guidelines and provide all the necessary documentation. The program is open to both renters and landlords alike. Landlords can apply on behalf of tenants who are struggling to pay for their rent. You can apply for this program online. If you are approved, the funds will be provided directly to the landlord on your behalf. This program may also help pay for your past due utility bills.


Multi-Family Housing Association – This program offers Washington rental assistance to help people who have fallen behind or who have received an eviction notice. To qualify, you have to earn 50% of the area median income, and have at least one rent month of rent you are behind on. The program is open to those who have had a disruption in their income through no fault of their own. The organization also offers other programs to help people with their housing needs. This program will provide emergency rental assistance and help with a variety of housing needs. You can apply for their programs online.


Community Action Council – This organization offers several programs to help people in need. They offer food programs, health programs, and housing programs. They help people with their housing by locating affordable housing and by providing Washington rental assistance. The program will help you pay for past due rent, future rental payments, and will help you avoid an eviction. They will also provide assistance with paying for past due utility bills. To qualify, you will have to meet the income guidelines for the local area, as well as provide all the necessary documentation when applying. You can apply for rental assistance through the Community Action Council online.


Rental Housing Association of WA – This organization offers emergency rental assistance for those who live in the state of Washington. The program will provide help with paying past due rent, as well as paying future rent. If you have received an eviction notice they may be able to help you avoid being evicted. To be approved for rental assistance you will have to meet the income guidelines for the program. They will also ask for some documentation that will need to be submitted, which includes proof of your income, identification, and place of residence. You can apply for this Washington rental assistance online.


Housing Authority of Thurston County – Those who live in Thurston County can turn to this organization for help with their housing needs. The organization will help people locate affordable housing, as well as provide Washington rental assistance for those who have fallen behind on their rental payments. They offer a voucher program, where you pay 30% of your income for your rent, and they will pay the rest of it as a subsidy. The organization also owns housing units and they will allow people who have a low income to live in them. Additionally, they provide emergency housing assistance, homeless assistance, and more. You can apply for these programs in person.


Community Action Council – In several states around the country, this organization provides numerous programs to help people in the community. Some of the programs they offer include helping with energy assistance, weatherization services, food distribution, and employment training. They also provide a Washington emergency rental assistance program. To qualify for the program, you have to meet the income guidelines for the area and be behind on your rent. In addition to helping with rental assistance, this program will help with paying for past due utilities, sewer, trash removal, etc. This program does not require that people be legal citizens to qualify for rental assistance. You can apply for the program online.